Do you find yourself with dozens of unused pillows because after a few weeks on your coach or bed you decided they didn’t look quite right? Or maybe you’re too afraid to buy any pillows so your sofa looks barren.I don’t know what it is about pillows but they seem to create a design phobia for many. In fact, even though I should know better I found myself in a bit of a quandary when picking out pillows for my own sofa! Watch this five-minute video where I share the mistakes I made and how you can avoid them with a few simple design strategies…
I was definitely making my pillow selection harder than I needed to! Once I approached it the same way I do for my clients I was able to get the perfect combination.
Here’s a recap of how to pick the perfect combination of pillows without losing your mind:
- Choose all of the pillows at once – this coordinated approach is more effective than a piecemeal effort.
- Bring a sample of your sofa fabric and other pillow covers with you to the store – this will help you select the right color and texture combination.
- Don’t be seduced by sales items – if you wouldn’t buy it full price then it’s not the pillow for you!
- Don’t get too “matchy-matchy” – vary with textures, colors and sizes.
- Do look for a repeating color or pattern that will create a cohesive look.
- Relax! They’re just pillows. It’s okay to buy a bit more than you need so you can play around with combinations at home. Pillows are easy to return, so don’t hold back.
Want my cheat sheet on the best places to buy throw pillows? Just click below...